Baking a delicious homemade cake is such a beautiful way to show Mum some love on Mother’s Day. This cake is so moist and delicious. It is the perfect sweet treat to serve up for morning tea with a lovely hot drink for Mum on this special day. The orange, blueberry and poppy seeds are a winning combination and the yoghurt topping adds a creamy, refreshing texture with each mouthful.
Mum will absolutely love this. And I’m sure it will become a favourite with friends and family when they pop in.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the beautiful mummies. Have a very special day.
2 cups spelt flour + extra 1 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 cup coconut sugar Pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds
Zest of 11⁄2 oranges
1⁄2 cup natural Greek yoghurt 1⁄4 cup olive oil
2 organic free range eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries + extra Juice of 2 oranges
1 cup natural Greek yoghurt Juice of 1⁄2 orange
1 tsp natural honey
Candied orange peel, freeze-dried
blueberry powder to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Add all the dry ingredients, including the poppy seeds and orange zest, into a bowl and mix well. 3. In another bowl add yoghurt, olive oil, beaten eggs, vanilla extract and orange juice and
4. Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
5. Coat your blueberries with some spelt flour as this will help stop them from sinking to the bottom of the cake when baking. Then fold the blueberries through the mixture.
6. Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake in an oven pre-heated to 170°C for 30-35 minutes, until fully cooked through.
7. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool before adding the yoghurt topping.
8. To make the yoghurt topping, drain any liquid from the yoghurt, place in a bowl and mix through orange juice and honey.
9. Once the cake has fully cooled, top your cake with the yoghurt topping and dress with fresh blueberries, candied orange peel and a sprinkle of freeze-dried blueberry powder.