My baked herb falafels with grain free tabbouleh and yoghurt mint dressing is a super light and healthy meal to serve up for dinner or lunch. Making your own falafels at home may seem a wee bit daunting but this recipe is super easy. By adding all the falafel ingredients to your food processor the falafels take only a few minutes to prepare and once baked are ready to serve up, making this a simple and quick dish.
Being baked instead of fried makes them significally more healthy than most fried falafels. They are still crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and packed full of fresh herbs giving them that authentic falafel taste.
My grain free tabbouleh (completely gluten free) using cauliflower and broccoli instead of your traditional grain base makes for a lighter and more refreshing tabbouleh. Served with the yoghurt mint dressing this pairs perfectly with my herb falafels to create a fresh, healthy and super delicious dish that I know will become a weekly favourite to serve up at meal times.
Baked Herb Falafels: Ingredients:
- I can (400g) of organic chickpeas
- 1 cup mixed spinach and kale leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- Pre heat the over to 170 degrees
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in the food processor.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the chickpea flour.
- Process until smooth and evenly mixed, you may need to stop partway through to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Once fully processed remove the blade, add in the chickpea flour and stir through.
- Take a handful of the mixture and form into balls.
- Place on a line baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Brush each falafels with a bit of olive oil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden on top.
Grain Free Tabbouleh Salad:Ingredients:
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 small broccoli cut into florets
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/3 cucumber chopped
- 1-2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley and mint leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
- Grate your cauliflower or broccoli or add to a food processor and plus until create grain sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add in the remaining ingredients, mix to combine.
- Place all the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and combine.
- Pour over Tabbouleh and mix through.
Yoghurt Mint Dressing:Ingredients:
- 3-4 Tbsp natural yoghurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- handful of fresh mint leaves finely chopped
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over your baked herb falafels.
To Serve: Serve your grain free tabbouleh on a plate or in a bowl. Top with 3-4 baked herb falafels and drizzle over the yoghurt mint dressing.