For a quick, healthy afternoon fix, try this protein-packed slice, from Christina Leon of healthy food blog Reveal Yourself
Many store brought protein bars and slices are laden with artificial ingredients and preservatives, and are also very expensive. This homemade slice is affordable, super easy and is packed with whole food ingredients – it has the perfect combination of protein, carbohydrates and good fats to provide a nutritious, energy-boosting snack. No baking is required, and it takes little time to prepare. Substitute the vanilla protein powder with chocolate if you prefer, and add some raw cacao powder for a more intense chocolate flavour.
2 cups walnuts
1 cup rolled oats
1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
1/ 3 cup extra virgin coconut oil 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla paste
2 Tbsps organic coconut nectar 1 scoop of organic vanilla protein powder
2 Tbsps organic peanut butter (you can use another nut butter of your choice)
150g organic dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher)
1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1. Add walnuts, rolled oats and sunflower seeds to a food processor and process for about 10 seconds, creating a fairly coarse consistency.
2. In a small saucepan, add coconut oil, pure vanilla paste, coconut nectar and melt slowly over a low heat. Once fully melted, add to the food processor with the vanilla protein powder and peanut butter. Process for another 10-20 seconds until fully combined and the mixture starts to come together.
3. Line a small baking tray, pour in the mixture and press evenly with your hands. Place in the freezer for about an hour to set.
4. To make the topping, place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of boiling water (or use
a double boiler). Place the chocolate and coconut oil into the bowl and melt slowly.
5. Remove the base from the freezer and pour the chocolate over the top. If you prefer less chocolate you can just drizzle the chocolate over the slice instead. Place the slice in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
6. Remove from the fridge, allow to sit for a few minutes before slicing the bars.
7. Keep stored in an airtight