As most of you know breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I am a big advocate on ensuring you start your day right with a nutritious breakfast. I absolutely love making porridge for the family in the mornings and especially now with the chillier mornings there is something so satisfying and nourishing about a warm hearty bowl of porridge to start the day.
Lately I have been experimenting a lot with buckwheat. Its name is a little misleading as it’s not actually a grain but a fruit seed and completely gluten free. Perfect for people who have a sensitivity to wheat. I have been using ground buckwheat as a flour in my baking and also as an alternative to rice. This creamy buckwheat porridge is becoming a morning favourite and now taking over my oat base porridge which I usually make. You can serve it hot, but I love it just as much served cold. The sweet cinnamon apple and pear topping make the perfect accompaniment to this porridge and add a sweet spicy element to the bowl. You can also top with your favourite toppings and in the warmer months, I like to add fresh berries and a dollop of homemade yoghurt.
Creamy Buckwheat Porridge with Sweet Apple and Pear:
1 cup organic buckwheat groats
1/2 cup organic coconut milk
1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla paste (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
Sweet Apple and Pear Topping:
1 Tbsp organic butter
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Place buckwheat groats in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak up to four hours or best overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the buckwheat groats and place in a high speed blender, I use my Vitamix.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients into the blender and process until creamy and smooth (if you prefer it a bit more chunky, don’t process as long).
4. To make the sweet apple and pear topping, melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a pan on a low-med heat. Peel and chop your apple and pear and place in the pan with the melted butter.
5. Sautee for about 3-5 minutes until the apple and pear start to soften. Add in the coconut sugar and cinnamon and coat the apple and pear. Sauté for a further 1-2 minutes.
6. You can serve your creamy buckwheat porridge cold or hot. If cold pour into a bowl and top with your sweet apple and pear topping, a drizzle of coconut milk and pure maple syrup. I also like to slice thinly some more apple and pear and serve with my porridge. You can add additional topping of your choice such as sliced almonds, sultanas, cacao nibs, and raw buckwheat groats.
7. If you wish to serve hot, place your creamy buckwheat porridge into a saucepan on a low heat with an extra 1/2 cup of almond milk and heat for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often until heated through. Once warm place in a bowl and add your sweet apples and pears and desired toppings.
Featured in my Monthly Column ‘On a Sweet Note’ In Good Health Choice Magazine